Here are some useful web sites to support learning the Iowa Core for Social Studies.
- Iowa ASCD continues to develop a curated and annotated list of web resources for Social Studies.
- There is now an Iowa Core Social Studies web page organized into Instructional Resources, Assessment Resources, and Professional Development Resources.
- Beyond the Bubble unlocks the vast digital archive of
the Library of Congress to create a new generation of history
assessments. Developed by the Stanford History Education Group (http://sheg.stanford.edu), Beyond the Bubble
is the cornerstone of SHEG’s membership in the Library of Congress’s
Teaching with Primary Sources Educational Consortium. We “go beyond the
bubble” by offering easy-to-use assessments that capture students’
knowledge in action – rather than their recall of discrete facts.
Explore our more than 65 History Assessments of Thinking.
- Since 2001, school districts have adopted Bringing History Home to engage children in rigorous history explorations. Bringing History Home (BHH)
instructional units sequentially develop student skills and knowledge
in history across the K-5 grade levels. Inspired by their students'
learning, BHH teachers have become committed advocates for history
education in elementary schools.
- Veteran's Day is a very important and special time in Perry CSD. Here are some resources for learning more about Veteran's Day.
- The Digital Public Library of America and the Library of Congress are fantastic sources of primary materials -- including manuscripts, artworks, maps, and sound recordings.
Below are several resources for teaching about September 11th, Constitution Day, and Hispanic Heritage Month.
Elementary Specific Resources
Hispanic Heritage Month