The Perry Community School District Mentoring Program serves new teachers in the following ways:
- Mentees will be given the opportunity to observe experienced/model teachers.
- Mentees will be given two years of support from an assigned mentor.
and mentees will meet formally weekly (or more), informally as needed,
and quarterly as whole group of new teachers to the district.
- Mentors and mentees will complete documents to log meetings, topics discussed and completion of artifacts for mentee’s portfolio.
- Mentors and mentees will complete monthly checklists that will allow discussions about all aspects of teaching and learning.
- Ongoing observations where mentors observe the mentee classroom will take place once a month. Feedback will be given. More observations and reflective conversations are encouraged.
- Ongoing professional development and networking opportunities will be provided by the PCSD teacher leadership team.
A copy of the district mentoring plan can be found here.
Perry currently offers three classes, one for mentors, one for teachers in their first year, and a class for teachers in their second year and veteran teachers new to the district. Class syllabi are below.
How to be an Effective Mentor
Supporting the First Year Teacher
Supporting the Second Year Teacher